As a nerdy science geek, I’ve always been interested in space and love seeing the galaxy trend grow. I knew I needed to play around with making galaxies in my crafting, and galaxy painted rocks seemed like the perfect idea.
With a simple layered technique, you can make galaxy painted rocks to use as backgrounds or stand alone art.
Related Post: Ultimate Guide to Rock Painting Supplies
How to Make a Painted Galaxy Background
Painting a galaxy background is an easy process of paint layering in a combination of black, dark blue, and purple. There’s no wrong placement of the paint, just relax and sponge it in places until you’re happy.
You can always go back and add more black if you’d like your galaxy background a little darker. A super simple spattering technique gives the illusion of faraway stars.
The basic steps I used are below. I started with a black rock, but a black painted base coat works just as well.
This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through my link, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- 1/2" paint brush (optional)
- small sponge or paper towel
- Begin with a black rock, or paint rock black using 1/2" paint brush and let try. Use small bit of sponge or crumpled paper towel to lightly sponge purple paint over sections of rock. Leave some black patches exposed.
- Repeat sponging process using blue paint, layering over some purple and black areas. Leave other purple and black areas exposed.
- Use paint brush (or old toothbrush) lightly dipped in silver paint to apply "stars" to galaxy. Run fingertip through brush to lightly flick silver splatters over entire rock.
- Use silver paint pen to add large stars and constellation lines as desired. *Yes, I made up my own constellation. I'm calling it "Queen of the Universe". 🙂
What to Add to a Space Painted Rock Background
Once you’ve finished your space rock galaxy background, the sky is the limit! (Pun totally intended!)
Use the galaxy background as a base for a constellation like I did here, add a funky alien, spaceship, planet, or whatever your imagination desires.
Make galaxy painted rocks as part of a space science unit, at camp, or just a fun project at home on a rainy day. They’re intergalactic fun for everyone!
Pin this painted rock project for later:
Your shares are how this site grows, and I am genuinely appreciative when you do. Pin to your Rock Painting Pinterest board or share this idea to a craft group on Facebook.