Easy to customize for any interest or color preference, no-crease elastic hair ties are a simple DIY gift for any age group. The stretchy elastic makes them perfect for any hair length, with no annoying band indent if letting hair down again later. Plus, making them yourself is much cheaper than purchasing premade. In this tutorial, I make my No-Crease Hair Ties for a softball goodie bag.
This page may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through my link, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
To Make No-Crease Hair Ties:
Making a set of creaseless hair ties is a straightforward, easy DIY that requires only 2 supplies:
- 5/8″ fold-over elastic, (makes approx. 3 bands per yard) and
- sharp scissors.
A ruler may also be helpful, and a lighter is optional if you’d like to seal the elastic ends. I recommend cutting all your elastic first, then making knots, to streamline the process.
*note: You can find fold-over elastic such as the softball elastic pictured in my tutorial, other sports, or virtually any interest or pattern. Solid fold-over elastic can be found at most craft stores that also sell ribbon or fabric.
- Use scissors to cut elastic into approximate 9″ lengths. Use a ruler, or estimate length using an 8.5×11″ sheet of paper. Length is really a personal preference, so making a test hair tie is a good idea before cutting all the elastic.
- Fold elastic in half, matching ends together. To knot elastic, wrap ends around a single finger, pass ends through loop, and slide knot off of finger. Pull knot tight, keeping approximately 1/2″ from ends.
- Trim ends at an angle.
(Optional) To prevent frayed ends, run tips of each elastic end through tip of flame just enough to melt threads together. This gives a nice finished edge to the no-crease hair tie as well.
Ways to use Creaseless Hair Ties:
- Add multiple designs to a 2.5×4″ card for gift giving (pictured above).
- Give themed design as part of a birthday goodie bag.
- Purchase customized elastic with business logo and use as giveaway.
- Sell as a fundraiser, or at sports event.
- Wear on wrist when not using in hair
Pin this project for later: