Still looking for July 4th decorating ideas? No worries, there is still plenty of time to whip up some DIY patriotic decorations before the 4th arrives.
These patriotic centerpiece decorations using paper medallions are quick and easy, since I’m providing a tutorial AND the printables!
How to Make a Patriotic Centerpiece
Paper medallions, also called rosettes, are a simple folded paper craft with a big impact. Hang them from the ceiling with string, tape to a wall to make a photo backdrop, or add to a container to make a centerpiece.
You can never have too many. Adding more only increases the festivity.
Download the printable patriotic circles at the bottom of the post, then use the instructions below to make these a pretty patriotic centerpiece for your July 4th picnic table.
- Stars & Stripes Printable Party Medallions
- 12×12″ red and blue cardstock and/or patterned paper
- paper glue (I like Zip Dry from Beacon Adhesives because it dries very quickly)
- Bamboo skewers
- scissors, circle cutter, or 3" circle punch
- Download free Stars & Stripes printable circles. Print the 3″ circles onto heavy white cardstock. Cut out using a circle cutter, 3″ punch, or plain old scissors. Set them aside for later.
- Cut 2 strips of cardstock to 3×12″ each. Fold paper accordion‐style into 1⁄2″ pleats (just like paper fans from elementary school!). Each strip will become 1⁄2 of the medallion. Overlap folds and glue together using Zip Dry to form one long strip.
- Overlap and glue the open ends of paper strip together to form a circle. Don’t worry if you end up with a circle that pops up like figure 4. We’ll fix that.
- Add a drop of Zip Dry in between folds on reverse side of medallion, and gently push the center down to form the folded circle shape. I also like to glue a circle of extra cardstock to the back of the medallion to help secure the circle in place (or a circle cut from a second Stars & Stripes printed circle if I’m hanging the finished medallions).
- When the medallion is dry, glue the Stars & Stripes 3″ Circle to the center of the front. Don’t be skimpy with the glue here, the extra will sink down into the folds and help adhere the circle more securely. Your medallion is finished!
Glue a bamboo skewer to the back of one of the folds, or punch a hole in the top to hang.
Repeat steps with the other freebie circles and remaining cardstock or patterned paper.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Once I finished my patriotic medallions, I chose to add the skewers, trim them to 3 sizes, and pop them in a metal bucket. I also added a bottle wrap from the complete Stars & Stripes Printable Party Kit to accent the bucket.
Download the Patriotic Printable Decorations
Download the patriotic printable decorations using the button below, and print as many as you need. Personal use only.
Free Patriotic Sparkler/Glowstick Holder Printables
Get the coordinating patriotic sparkler holders!
View the July 4th Sparkler Holder project post to download the FREE Stars & Stripes Printable.
More Patriotic Decorations: Stars & Stripes Printable Party Kit
The Deluxe Stars & Stripes printable party kit comes with both 4th of July and non-holiday specific USA printables. The set includes 14 print-at-home files, some of which can be customized by you.
Until next time…