I always bring paper books to the beach or pool so I don’t have to worry about electronic devices getting damaged by a rogue wave or stolen when I’m not looking. Sometimes I even read in the pool to beat the heat, and I definitely can’t bring an e-reader in there. This summer floral bookmark gives some extra tropical vibes to my vacation reading, and makes me feel fancy as I sit with my umbrella drink near the water. Get the free hibiscus flower cut file I used below, and enter to win a prize package from Cricut!
I also often travel with a few small craft supplies, just in case rain keeps me inside. After all, relaxing with craft supplies is never a bad thing! This year, I brought along a little envelope of paper hibiscus flowers cut from a new design. Sure enough, afternoon thunderstorms gave me an excellent opportunity to make a tropical summer floral bookmark using my hibiscus svg cutouts, perfect for using next to the pool.
Supplies to Make DIY Floral Bookmark
- Hibiscus svg cut file (download below)
- Bright pink, orange, yellow, and green cardstock
- Quick Dry paper adhesive (or similar)
- Laminating machine and folders (optional)
How to Make a Hibiscus Bookmark using Cricut
- Download my Hibiscus SVG cutting file, and open in Cricut Design Space. Resize layers as desired. I used 1.5″ flowers, 1″ pistils, and 1/2″ leaves.
- Follow directions in Design Space to cut 4-6 flowers each from pink and orange papers, 8 pistils from yellow paper, and 3 leaves from green paper..
- Cut a base bookmark layer from yellow cardstock approximately 6×1.5″ using the background layer from this bookmark cutting file, or a standard paper cutter.
- Arrange pink and orange hibiscus flowers on top of base layer as shown in photo, or otherwise as desired. You may have extra flowers, depending on arrangement. Tuck 3 green leaves among flowers to cover exposed base layer spaces. Once you like your arrangement, glue flowers and leaves in place on base layer. Allow to dry.
- Arrange pistils on flowers, making sure most of the length overlaps previous layers to provide strength. Glue in place.
- (Optional) Laminate bookmark using laminating folder and machine if desired, to provide strength and protection.
If I had made my summer floral bookmark in my studio, I probably would have laminated it to make it waterproof and protect the small pieces from bending or tearing. But since it was a vacation project, I left it bare and it’s been just fine.
Download the Free Hibiscus SVG Cutting File
Click the download button below to save to your device.
Enjoy your hibiscus summer floral bookmark! Enter the giveaway below to win a fantastic prize pack from Cricut!
Pin this DIY tropical bookmark for later:
Yay! A Cricut Giveaway
Enter to win the huge Easy Press + Infusible Ink + $200 Gift Card Giveaway. Total value is just under $600!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Find more Cricut Flower Projects